Veneers are very thin, tooth-coloured shells that are used to cover the front part of one or more teeth. Generally made from porcelain, veneers are carefully crafted to cover the front of the tooth and can significantly improve the appearance of your teeth and smile.
Uses of Veneers
- Restore chipped teeth
- Cover discoloured teeth
- Fix the shape of slightly misaligned teeth
- Alternative to a crown if the tooth below is strong and healthy
- Fill small gaps between the teeth
To fit a veneer, the dentist will need to prepare each tooth individually. This will require the dentist to remove a thin layer about the thickness of a fingernail from the tooth surface. An impression of your teeth is taken to have your veneer custom made. When your veneer is ready, it will be fitted onto the front of your tooth and permanently bonded.
After Care for Veneers
- Refrain from chewing on hard foods (eg. ice or hard lollies) or biting hard objects (such as pens or bottle tops)
- Get regular check-ups with the dentist to maintain your veneers
- Maintain good oral hygiene at home as healthy gums are essential to the success of veneers